Hi Sven,

> Am 17.04.2019 um 20:31 schrieb Sven Dyroff <s.dyr...@phytec.de>:
>
> Hello Nicolaus,
>
> > Well, I don't fear the modem.
>
> I do. And I exactly know why.
>
> > As soon as you want to make use of it you have to turn it on and accept
> > that it is not trustworthy and can't be.
>
> Neo900 planned a couple of stuff that would have domesticated that beast at
> least up to a certain level. Such smart things like measuring its power
> consumption and validate if it's reasonable compared with its current
> instructed actions with the option to automatically switch it off.

Well, I have my own opinion on this...
It is: this stuff is useless.

The reason is that nobody can test if these detectors really work.
To test a fire alarm you must make some smoke. But how can you trigger the
modem to make rogue activities to check if they are detected?

> > As long as it is a separate one connected through e.g. USB and some AT
> > commands for control.
>
> We all agree that this is essential. But I claim that this is by far not
> enough. With the GTA04 you just had good luck with your modem choice by
> accident.
>
> > At least in the dreams of some IoT evangelists.
> > Well, I don't share your pessimism and apocalyptic view here...
>
> It just needs a look behind the big firewall of China. I claim the situation
> there is already apocalyptic. And it's no dream anymore. It's already damned
> reality.

Yes, I know. But that is not a technological issue. Technology was second. The
situation is there for 30 years or more...

> > Especially if it seems to end in a "we can't do anything about it".
> > I believe we can do something. It is not easy and does not go over night.
> > But small steps are small steps if they go to the right direction.
>
> Just ask Chinese activists how much they can do.
>
> > Therefore we simply must restart with something as a big team.
>
> Yes, indeed. But you'll get such a big team only if you can provide a clear
> aim. One of the last Sourceforge Newsletters provided a very interesting
> article about the needs how to build a good and effective Open Source team.

Yes, I remember similar articles. A key aspect is that people must see a
benefit with the results. Either a personal for hobbyists (could be learning
something, appreciation, presenting as a good software developer) or a
commercial one (saves money for the company they are working for).

In the early days, the benefit of QtMoko was to get something which did not
exist before (besides iOS 1.0 and Android 0.5).

> Unfortunately I don't have it anymore. But I remember that a clear outlook
> was one of the basic requirements.

Well, my vision for QtMoko2 would be:

* modernized base: latest kernels, latest development tools, latest Debian as
basis
* remove bugs - just make it work out-of-the-box
* modularized: just apt-get install what you want to have (or even write a GUI
app for that - sort of an Appstore)
* runs on different hardware (existing and upcoming)

IMHO a lot of aspects to work for.

> Best regards
>    Sven
>
> P.S.: Did I already mention at any time that I like QtMoko very much?    ;-)

Not that I am aware of :):)

BR,
Nikolaus