> Those across the big pond(s)--can you buy a helmet outside the U.S.
> without a DOT sticker on it?

Well, here in Spain you can, for sure. Being able to legally use it on a
motorcycle is completely different...

Funny, what you can't buy is a nice, elegant full facer in one or two colors
besides my trusty BMW and a couple semi-cheapies. I refuse to wear
eye-popping-neon-racing graffiti on my head!

> This is most commonly the case in helmets such as BMW's System helmets
(not
> sold in the U.S. thanks to our legal system) with an opening front. Snell
> approves none of those helmets - I had a long discussion once with the
tech
> guy at Shoei as to why - but many are good helmets.

The BMW system 4 is great - much, much better than 3. Most long distance
riders and big bike commuters favor them over here, even at ridiculously
high prices. I've read a comparative test in a reputable magazine and it
came out tops along with an Arai model. One nice thing is I can ride with it
in heavy rain at 30 or 40 mph with the visor open about 2/3 of an inch and
no water will get ito my face due to its aerodynamics. Also possible to ride
without glasses and the visor an inch open and not have your eyes irritated
by the turbulence, or worry about bugs or other flying matter like small
pebbles from a car.

those of you wanting an opening-front helmet for those very slow times in
the summer gridlock from work, take a look at the Nolan N100 at
http://www.nolan.it/a/prod_nolan.asp?c=r&f=1  . It looks even better in
reality, and some colors are a nice match to the GTS.