>  Granted, the risk is slight, as the officer would have to closely inspect
> the helmet and know what to look for.  In the real world, odds of this
> happening are slim.

Cops are not stupid, generally.  Around here, in Montgomery Co. MD at least,
they have to have a college education.

They look for one thing...the DOT sticker on the back of the helmet...though
I've yet to hear of anyone in the DC area getting a ticket for wearing a non
compliant helmet.  I figure the cops figure that if a person is so stupid as
to wear that kind of helmet they get what they deserve, eventually.  Next
time I talk to a cop and I know a few, from the motorcycle safety program,
I'm going to ask about the situation.

Regards,

Henry S. Winokur
94 GTS1000, AMA, MRF, MD/MSF Certified Instructor
West Bethesda, MD