I realize as I finish writing, I've created a wall of text. Maybe more than
you bargained for.

  :)

On Wed, 16 May 2018 16:06:07 +0100
ra...@airmail.cc wrote:

> For the section about IRC. Please add a bit that explains why you
> shouldn't say "hi guys" when you join IRC. Instead "Hi guix" or "Hi
> #guix" is recommended.

I'm not sure explaining some edge cases would be a-good-thing(tm). Instead I
think it is better that we keep an eye out and tell each other when we make
mistakes like this. This will also train our lenses to see these things
better because we're using them.

I see two distinct paths here (of many, greyscales are everywhere).
1. we specify every edgecase, and expect everyone to follow it. I.e. we
        should be perfect and know the rules.
2. we assume we are fallible and make mistakes, but try our best; so we
        gently tell when someone does something more or less bad.

I think the first leads to a harder regime on everyone, and in most cases
leads to a less humane culture. I think path 2 is the better choice.

The reason I (we) have the CoC and strive to be better in this manner, as I
see it; is because I (we) want to foster a kind culture where we can have
thorough calm discussions where everyone has a say - because no one are
radicalized, othered, ridiculed or worse.

It is important that we don't make microaggressions big. We all make
mistakes. And if someone tells me 'hey, that was a somewhat racist comment' I
should (even though it can be hard) take a look at myself and what I said;
learn - and move on.

The reason guys is not an appropriate term for the guix community is that it
is a word that connotes gender. Yes, I know it can be used about females; but
that use of the term is extremely varying from culture to culture. The origin
and most common use is for cis males. I'm quite sure we have incredibly
talented women, genderqueers and other non-binary gendered beings among us.
Therefore it is inapropriate to call us all male.

I saw a case a day or three ago where someone was called on using 'hi guys'
in the guix channel. I would like to give points to those involved, because
it was handled very well. It made me think as well, I hadn't thought of that
as a microaggression before.