Hi,

On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 at 14:39, Pierre Neidhardt <m...@ambrevar.xyz> wrote:
> zimoun <zimon.touto...@gmail.com> writes:

> > However, I thought that it was fixed in Emacs 27. Ouch!
> I tried with Guix' emacs-next and I get the same problem.

Ok, I should have misread some news. :-)

Well, I am not following what we are talking about. There is 2 issues:

1.
By default with Emacs, *shell* is doing right and EShell not. Is it
coming from Emacs or other? Could the Emacs from Guix do always the
right thing?

Other said, *shell* sets by default INSIDE_EMACS to "26.3,comint". And
EShell does nothing by default. Is it Guix specific or Emacs specific?

2.
In Guix, the environment variable INSIDE_EMACS escapes the special
character OSC (and turns off the colour face).
So, Guix commands can change their behaviour depending if INSIDE_EMACS
is set or not; independently of the terminal emulator.

The patches that I sent are about this point 2.

I am using the terminal emulator 'xterm' which does not support the
special character OSC but does the expected standard when it sees one
(i.e., does nothing). All descent terminal emulator does the correct
thing with the OSC character; which is: a) does nothing if not
supported or b) does fancy display if supported. The only terminal
emulator that I know* which is not doing the standard is terminal
emulator in Emacs. That's why the environment variable to turn on/off
the OSC is named INSIDE_EMACS.

*except when the terminal emulator is incorrectly built, as
terminal-mate in Trisquel shows.

So, I have no idea about the point 1. nor investigate.

All the best,
simon