Hi Edouard,

It is very important to speak up, although that makes me sad to read
such poor feedback experience.

Well, the friction is about Debbugs.  Maybe I repeat myself: Debbugs is
initially thought to be a bug tracker system and not a patch track system.

Do not take me wrong, I am not trying to convince you.  Instead, I am
just trying to explain that email workflow is not so much different and
the main annoyances you point come from Debbugs and not emails,
somehow. :-)

On Thu, 14 Sep 2023 at 10:51, Edouard Klein <e...@rdklein.fr> wrote:

> Before anybody tries to explain to me that git send-email is easier than
> I think, what you have to beat is:

Well, the complete workflow you have in mind is:

1.  $ git remote add guix-patches WHATEVER              #only once
2.  $ git push -u guix-patches master:some-unique-name
3.  … send a Pull Request …                             #only once

Instead, the email workflow somehow reads:

a.  … send an Email to guix-patc...@gnu.org             #only once
b.  $ git config sendemail.to 12...@debbugs.gnu.org     #only once
c.  $ git send-email --base=auto -v <N> origin

and the order is flipped:

        a == 3   #only once
        b == 1   #only once
        c == 2

Yeah, the order appears awkward. But that’s because of Debbugs; else it
would not be very different.

The advantage is that contributing does not require from you to have a
public Git repository, it requires from you only an email address.

The drawback (plural!), bah you already know them. :-)

Again, thank you for your feedback.

Cheers,
simon