Hi Simon, Saku

Thank you for your answers.

First, I should have slept on my email instead of sending it right away.
I was still dealing with the frustration of having made a fool of myself
with debbugs, which compounded with wrestling earlier with golang build
system. My tone was unnecessarily harsh, please accept my apologies for
that.

I'd like to be part of the solution, so Saku, I'd like to help
write the putative scripts you talk about. The main difficulty I see is
that they need to be configured to be able to send and receive email on
the user's behalf. I have some more patches to send over, I'll use that
as an excuse to see what I can come up with.

Second, I don't know what the general feeling is here towards debbugs, but
if moving away from it is something that may happen, my suggestion is not
to use anything with Pull Requests, as Simon you seem to have
understood. I worded my suggestion poorly. What I had in mind was a
(semi-)public-writable repo: code is pushed by developers, pulled and
reviewed by maintainers, and if satisfactory, rebased on to master.

If communication about the patch is needed, an email thread can be
started on the mailing list, CCing the commit author(s) whose email
address is known from the commits. A bash one liner starting with git
log ... | sed ... can create the email automatically from the proposed branch.

There is no need for any active code on the server, just SSH access or
maybe public git:// access, and a place to store the repos.
See
https://gitlab.com/edouardklein/guix/-/blob/beaverlabs/beaver/system.scm?ref_type=heads#L526
the os/git function for an example on how to set that up on a guix
server.
See https://the-dam.org/docs/tutorials/git-hosting.html for how to set
it up and https://the-dam.org/docs/tutorials/private-git.html for how to
create repos once it is set up.

Details need to be ironed out, such as whether to make it world-writable
or to have a vetting process, whether to have a public-writable repo
segregated from the official one, etc. but I think a reasonable
configuration can be found. It seems simpler than git email with or
without debbugs, for both maintainers and reviewers, but I'll admit I
only have experience working with small teams, and not running a large
and successful open source project, so I can't be very assertive there.

Lastly, I think the lack of reviewers stems from the lack of
contributors. I for one feel like I could give good reviews on trivial
patches like new packages and package updates. Just check the repo is
the official one, check the licence is good, and check that it, and its
descendents, builds. I would gladly review a few packages a week, if I
did not dread interacting with git email. Again, not insurmontable, but
friction is a powerful thing.
If we could onboard contributors more easily, we would have a larger
pool of maintainers to pick from. Guix is freaking awesome, but very
hard to pick up. It took me a few years to get up to speed.

Anyway, thanks for the great software and for the time and guidance
y'all give on help-guix and here. Sorry for the ranty email.

Cheers,

Edouard.