Hi Simon,

Am Donnerstag, dem 14.09.2023 um 19:48 +0200 schrieb Simon Tournier:
> a.  … send an Email to guix-patc...@gnu.org             #only once
> b.  $ git config sendemail.to 12...@debbugs.gnu.org     #only once
> c.  $ git send-email --base=auto -v <N> origin
>
> and the order is flipped:
>
>         a == 3   #only once
>         b == 1   #only once
>         c == 2
I mean, the real benefit of git send-email is that these three steps
compress into a single one if you have a series that consists of a
single patch.  In fact, mumi send-email already implements this
workflow in a somewhat clunky way that works, but it requires the use
of yet another tool that isn't well known outside of Guix (at least
with git send-email you can point at how kernel devs do stuff).

Maybe we should actually fix that debbugs bug or advocate a separate
address that runs a script on the backend waiting for all emails to
land and then forwarding them to debbugs similar to what mumi send-
email already does.  I kinda understand that there are good reasons why
debbugs is not that smart out of the box (something something denial of
service), but for most reasonable cases it shouldn't take too long for
that cover letter to arrive even if the mails are out of order.  (Plus
we have moderation, so spamming of large series is kept to a reasonable
minimum already).  We could also implement a timeout solution like "if
it's a multi-patch series and the cover letter doesn't arrive within
five minutes of the first patch, send a mail to the contributor asking
them nicely to send that first and then wait a bit, and then abort the
process".

Cheers