From: Charlene Charette <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
I've never understand the difference between "t-tunic" and "tunic".

Let's first establish what a "tunic" is: according to the Oxford Mnglish Dictionary and Middle English Dictionary, a Tunic (for the middle ages at least) is "A garment resembling a shirt or a gown, worn by both sexes among the Greeks and Romans (OED)", "In Old English and mediaeval times, a body garment or coat over which a loose mantle of cloak was worn. (OED)" and "A garment resembling a shirt or gown, worn alone or beneath a mantle, armor, etc. (MED)"

In other words, it is a simple shirt/gown, worn next to the body, as opposed to the usual kirtles/gowns, etc, which are worn with a shirt/camisa under them, and stylistically similar to what people thought the romans and greeks wore.

A "T-tunic." as I learned the term, was a modern term for a simple type of tunic cut from a wide bit of fabric, folded, then cut in the shape of a "T" and so there is minimal cutting and sewing. The term may refer to the shape it's cut from, or the fact they are as ubiquitous as t-shirts, or could be worn like t-shirts (all of which I've heard as -the- explanation.

Marc