At 17:31 11/08/2005, you wrote:
I think it was just a slip of the finger...earlier in your post you said "chemise," but then you said: "No-one professing to be a lady, or even of the class of
>>Clarissa, would have gone without a corset."

I think you probably meant to write "would have gone w/o a chemise" -- hence the confusion.

KP

Thank you - you are absolutely right and I apologise.

Suzi

I said that Clarissa does not wear a chemise under her corset - I did
not say that she did not wear a corset. As costumer, trying to
persuade customers to wear the proper underclothes, this sort of
thing undermines what I say and irritates me to heck!

<huge snip>

>>I saw this when first out and was disappointed in the costumes. No
>>chemises!!! Corsets on bare skin.

Even Hogarth's prostitutes wore
>>chemises. No-one professing to be a lady, or even of the class of
>>Clarissa, would have gone without a corset.

Mistake - should have read "chemise". Sorry - Suzi