I'd still rather read Pride and Prejudice or The Pickwick Papers than the latest Diana Gabaldon novel.

Which I think brings back the point that we are too close to the twentieth century yet to look at it objectively. Pickwick and Oliver Twist were serial novels, hardly considered "literature" in their time. Shakespeare was just a playwright. But how many other novelists and playwrights from those eras do we still read?

It depends on who "we" are. If you're an English Lit student, or have similar tastes, you read many more Elizabethan poets and playwrights than Shakespeare (the novel was not an established form then) and many more Victorian novelists than Dickens. Most of whom are considered "literary greats," but many of whom were just hacking out popular culture that sold when they wrote the stuff.

The thing about the 20th century is, that so much more has been published, that it's much harder for the works of any fiction writer to emerge from the sea of other stuff as even existing, let alone great or not.

I'll tell you who I think the greatest 20th century writer is so far: Gene Wolfe.

Fran
Lavolta Press
http://www.lavoltapress.com