Quoting Robin Netherton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

"Another type of ceremonial costume is Vincenzo Gonzaga's attire for
his 1587 coronation as Duke of Mantua. A great deal of research was
necessary to recreate a costume which is described at length in
contemporary chronicles and depicted in paintings by Giovanni Bahuet
(private Collection, Mantua) and Rubens (Palazzo Ducale, Mantua). Made
of white satin, embroidered gold, silver, and pearls and topped with
an ermine cape, it is the most lavish and costly of all the costumes
in the exhibition."

Looks like that might be this?

http://www.sapere.it/tca/minisite/arte/nonsolomostre/images/tramaoro6.jpg

That would be it.  This page
http://www.kingstudio.it/pagine%20Abiti%20ricostriti/vincenzo-abito.htm
shows the original painting and the reconstructed costume.

I'm pretty sure that I have some other things with similar sleeves --
I'll have to have a look and see.

The few other portraits by Bahuet I can find online are too small for me
to get a sense of the style. But I'd be interested in knowing the date of
the book that has the b/w version of the portrait. More than once I've
seen 18th and 19th c. books show an engraving of a work and cite the work
to the original artist -- often these reproductions are very faithful, and
it's usually the face that gives it away. This makes sense before
photography; however, sometimes these b/w engravings are reprinted in much
later books, with the credit to the original artist, and no indication
that it's essentially a redrawing. Ouch.

Yeah.  I'm with you there.

Susan
-----
Susan Farmer