On Fri, 30 Dec 2005, Susan B. Farmer wrote:

> This painting
> http://epee.goldsword.com/sfarmer/SCA/Paintings/florentine_PortraitWoman-landinFig39.jpg
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/byswr
>
> is simply listed as "Florentine" with no specific artist attributed.
> It's almost *identical* to the painting from Rosa's book currently
> under discussion.

By George, I think you've got it. Note especially the little curl of hair
in front of her left ear -- only in the b/w image, it goes down along her
neck.

I'll go out on a little limb here. Here's my guess at a scenario:

The b/w image started as an engraving (photogravure) made for a French
book in the early 1800s. The engraver used the image Susan cites as a
base, but made some adjustments/embellishments based on other portraits
(including the addition of the dog, jewels on the sleeves, etc.). The
French book captioned the image with the French version of the name of a
Renaissance artist who was at that time thought to be the artist of at
least one of the prints the engraver worked from. Levi-Pisetsky picked up
the engraving, and the attribution, without verification, and analyzed it
as though it were an accurate original. The "a" in the attribution is a
leftover preposition from the original French caption.

--Robin