From: Sue Clemenger [mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 18:59:50 -0700
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Re: Bosoms

Just a bit of wondering....In addition to Sheer Bad Taste (tm)
and<br>inaccurate information on the part of a fair number of modern reenactors
and<br>RenFairies, could some of the TOAP effect be coming from our larger
bodies?<br>I'm not referring to the largely
mythical<br>we're-so-much-taller-than-they-were idea, but the reality of a lot
of 21st<br>century Americans being, well, *koff* heavier than optimal health
would have<br>us.  Myself included, so no slam meant.  You get somebody who's
well-endowed<br>to begin with, like me, and add some overweight to it, and I
*can't* avoid<br>having a shelf.  Even in a modern bra, I've got a shelf.  In a
corset,<br>though, it's quite a bit more obvious, especially when compared to
the same<br>area on a woman less rounded and endowed.<br>The best (historical)
support I've had that didn't present a huge shelf was<br>the shell for the
fitted gown from Robin's workshop.  I suspect that's from<br>a different sort
of support/compression
going on than with a corset.<br>Oh, and Happy New Year, everyone! ;o)<br>--Sue
PROTECTED]><br>To: "Historical Costume" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]><br>Sent: Saturday,
think of the melons on a platter in the 18th Century, not Elizabethan,<br>> >
as the corsets are shaped differently.  The Renn and Elizabethan are<br>> >
more tubular in shape to the 18thC cone shape that gives you a higher<br>> >
bustline. That and the 18thC women showed them off a bit more than<br>> >
earlier women, what with the partlets of the earliers times.<br>><br>>      It
depends on what you mean by melons on a platter.  In both time<br>> periods, I
think you see a lot more at Ren Faires and reenactments<br>> than the ideal for
the time period.  18thC is supposed to produce<br>> "pleasing mounds", and I
have not seen paintings where they show a<br>>
cleavage line (the actual line from breasts pressed together).<br>> Winterthur
Museum in Delaware has a portrait of a lady who is rather<br>> large busted,
and still no line!  Bet she wasn't like that in real<br>> life, but we're
talking about the ideal.<br>><br>>      And while Elizabethans had partlets,
18thC have handkerchiefs, a<br>> folded square or triangle of cloth that covers
the shoulders and<br>> bosom.  Sometimes they were sheer and some were
embroidered.  Wearing<br>> one depended on time of day and age.  They protect
from the sun, and<br>> young women would tend to go without while those with
mailing