Another thought also is, could the English women of the 16th century been more
likely to be less endowed as a general trait?  I wonder sometimes if this was
the reason that the corset was an okay thing for the English, while other areas
of the world at that time, like the Germans were developing a soft line that
allowed the curved of the bust, and is easier for the more well endowed to wear.

  alex
Wendy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

The big bosom thing is something I've been wondering about for a while too.
I've seen very few portraits, if any, that show women with large breasts
pre-19th C even in portraits where the women are robust.

Clothing styles definately didn't encourage large bosoms, I know a lot of women
who have trouble making garb that fits. They either use a princess style cut,
which isn't appropriate, or squish themselves (which is not flattering or, I
imagine, comfortable)

Could large breasts be a modern occurance? Our food is pumped full of hormones
and other chemicals. In the last few decades, girls are physically maturing
faster than they used too. My friends and I started menstrating around 14-15
years old, now girls are 11-12.

In the past, ideal beauty may have been small breasts as compared to now, where
bigger is not big enough (I was so born in the wrong century); but not all
portraits were idealized.

Wendy