To: "Historical Costume" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, March 10, 2006 3:04 AM
Subject: Re: [h-cost] what do renaissance seamen look like?

At 04:17 PM 3/8/2006, you wrote:
Perhaps so, but it begins nearly a hundred years after the close of the Elizabethan era.

Sailors of the Elizabethan period, based on period art wear loose venetians or what willlater be called slops. Some are shown closed at the bottom some are not. The upper body garments tend to be either close fitting doublets, or a loose smock sort of jacket referred to in the period as a cassock. The real obvious indicator of a sailor is the cap. The most notable ones being thrummed caps. Thrummed caps look in art like fur. They are made from strands of woll (thrum) being afixed through the weave of kit caps, not unlike the modern watch cap.

Good art does exist out there. A number of Dutch maps shows mariner figures as does the Mariner's Mirror. Actually the Dutch version and the English version depict some different figures. I think it is just after the period, but there are the woodcuts of the BArents expeditions as well. Some art survivies depicting one of Frobisher's trips as well. There is also the image depicted in Vecellios that was earlier mentioned.

Ron Carnegie

Hello Ron

Thank you for your explanation. I was looking at the Vecellio's woodcut that Suzi mentioned, and couldn't figure out what was going on until I read your info. I know Alcega has a pattern for the cassock, although I don't know if it is the same or similar, but I will look it up. And the thrummed cap gave me a lot to google for (I now understand how to thrum a knitted mitt).

I've found a color image of the Mariner's Mirror, then realized I have a B/W copy in one of my books, which is great since the color image is rather small, so details are not really there. The Barents expedition is 1596, so it is period. I just found a decent image online of one of the images. The other one with the polar bear wasn't so clear. It looks like I will have to hunt around some more, but you've given me some great leads.

Thank you,

Kimiko