You want to prove the "pyrate" look wrong you might want to go the other way about. Bring in documentation of historic dress in the golden age of piracy (a period beginning at the earliest in the middle 17th century and usually depicted more around the turn to the 18th). I say this because such research will show that the "pyrate" look when historically inspired at all, is just garish example of the civilan dress of the time. The very argument you are in fact making. Elizabethan pirates probably would even get to be garish! Elizabethan pirates where entirly differnt creatures than the brethren of the coast sorts. The line between honest merchant and pirate were very slim. Beyond that there was no navy in the modern sense. English pirates in the 16th century were more often than not pirates by oppurtunity than prediliction. Honest sailors who had taken advantage of situation that appears, pirated some other poor merchant, and than continued with their previous legal operation. While there were areas in England where acts of piracy regularly occured, these tended to be more of a smuggling and "wreckers" type activities. There really was not a pirate culture as would later flourish in the Caribbean, American and Madagascar ports.

Ron Carnegie

Hi Julie,

Thanks for resisting the pun... I am sure we all can come up with something.

This is exactly why I am looking up what they wore, because it was my hunch they wore what everyone else wore, but I have no proof of that, and it is the visual proof I am looking for. I am going to be doing a visual lecture on Costume Myths for our local Ren-faire people.

See, we are currently finding a number of people involving themselves at our local Renaissance faires wearing the stereotypical "Pirate" garb, which is a much later time frame. While the faire promoters aren't sure what to do about it (except for one who has embraced it as her faire theme), I am hoping to show people visual images of what exactly they did wear, or at least as much info about it as I can. If they want to ignore it, and continue to wear the Capt'n Jack Sparrow outfits... at least I tried.

And yeah, if you got a hubby willing to dress like Capt'n Jack... oye. Enjoy yourselves. ;-) I fell in love with my husband because he enjoyed wearing kilts... I really like men in kilts.

Kimiko