> Has anyone run across a reference to some sort of early 19th-century
> tool for pinking fabric called an arrache-pièce à dents?  (I'm not sure
> the accents will come through in the email you receive, but I tried.
> The only modern reference I've found to this terms to a tool called a
> "gear puller" in English, and this is certainly not that.)  If so can
> you point me to any more info?

As near as I can translate it (from my 4+ years of high school french) the
literal translation is a "piece puller with teeth".  So your modern
reference is very close to the french term.

Could it be like the antique pinking tools you can see on EBay where you
turn a crank and run the fabric through to pink the edge?

Hope that helps...

diana

www.RenaissanceFabrics.net
"Everything for the Costumer"

"Become the change you want to see in the world."
--Ghandi