I think there is a picture of the Manchester stays in "Corsets and Crinolines", with a later date. I have a drawing from a student of the same stays, also dated later. I think that date given was 1670 - court dress of this time had the tops of the shoulders exposed.

Thank you, Suzi, this is what I thought I remembered.

I recently looked at 17th Century stays at the Museum of London, and they were similar in shape, and also dated later.

There has been talk of a set of stays being found in Wales, which are much earlier in date, and I believe Ian the Staymaker was invited to look at them. However, to the best of my knowledge, nothing has yet been published about them. Bjarne mentioned them in a post some time ago, I think.
(snip)
Suzi

Yes, I've been waiting to hear more about these; I believe the tentative date was 1630-35. They were found inside a farmhouse wall, if I remember correctly.

Sigh, I really was hoping that the Manchester ones had some reason to be dated earlier, since to my knowlege there really isn't anything in existance from between 1603 and 1660. They just didn't look like the right shape based on what was worn over them.

Melusine