I'm wary of offering a prefix for chat.  I do find that most people
do not consider this a chatty type of list.  Even when discussing
something off-topic, many add the "obligatory costume content" at the
end.  "It's breast cancer awareness month, OCC I found this great
link on the history of bras."

     I've seen some lists or forums that say they are a "community", which
seems to mean they allow discussion of any topic and not just the
theme of the list.  However I think H-costume can be a community and
still keep the discussion on-topic.

> Prefixes are to the subject line, as in CHAT:  Is everyone in New
> Orleans OK after the hurricane?

     I don't mind a request for people to check in after a disaster,
however it can lead to a lot of off-topic chatter.  Someone might
have a request for volunteers to help with a flooded museum
collection and put it under CHAT because it relates to the recent
floods in the eastern US.  But it is on-topic if it's about
preserving a costume collecton.

> However, I do agree with all the suggestions to have good subject lines,
> change them when you change the subject.  I also think a list change to
> reply-to-sender would be good.  The latter makes people think every time
> they post about whether this really should be a private message.

     Or cut down on discussion dramatically because people don't stop to
think about it.  I belong to quite a few lists and I would have to
stop and think for each one when I hit "reply".  Perhaps in the
future all replies would have a "choose the option" of private vs
to-the-list.  Or certain threads could be designated "reply only to
sender", such as was requested with the holiday gift exchange.
Maybe, one day, the technology will be there...

> I don't get particularly stirred up about whether people snip posts much
> or not

     It doesn't seem to be a huge on this list.  I've really only noticed
it on other places.

     I think the settings currently on H-Costume are ok, and it's just a
matter of reminders for use.  Personally I would be really annoyed if
someone speculated on a medical condition, about me, on a public list
rather than sending a private note.  To me, it's like announcing
something loudly in a group of people about a matter that should be a
private aside.  We have had discussions in the past about carpal
tunnel syndrome and sewing, going into prevention and treatment and
treatment.  But again, it's something of interest to several list
members, sewing is a big element of making costume, etc.

     -Carol