> > Two programmes on British TV over Christmas showed Victorian
> > brides in sleeveless dresses. One was the film of "Nicholas
> > Nickleby", the other a version of "Dracula". Dammit, you wear
> > DAY clothes to a wedding! (or used to.)

> I thought that too, however in my most recent research project covering
the elliptical hoop
> though the early bustle (1865-1874) a noticeable percentage of wedding
dresses were in the
> evening dress style. No more then 25%, but a noticeable percentage anyway.

I found it's usually respectable middle class that wears day dress (and
probably working class too as I suspect there wasn't much opportunity to go
to the opera or the odd ball....) and the aristocracy could wear off the
shoulder and the like. I was mostly looking at 1870s and 1880s there. Most
of the brides on the Musee McCorde site are wearing clothing to the neck.

None of the fashion plates show the lower necked style for weddings (though
there are rather more open necks for day wear.)

Michaela de Bruce
http://glittersweet.com