On Mon, 8 Jan 2007, Ann Catelli wrote:

> Here's the relevant quote from:
> <http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=49&chapter=2&version=31>
> Including the bit which your source says may have been
> tweaked quite a bit:
> So, according to Luke, no Marian connections in
> Bethlehem.

Perhaps it was Joseph's connection, then, which does seem pretty obvious.
I was listening to the report for pleasure, and this was some time ago;
what I came away remembering was that there was a pretty convincing
argument for why it would have been reasonable for them to contact local
relatives if they needed a place to stay. As I recall, the researcher also
talked a lot about living arrangements and local customs, including
hospitality.

--Robin