"Ultramarine," like many other colors (magenta, Prussian blue, "midnight blue," apricot, burnt sienna, ocher, even lavender), was described definitively and permanently for me in my youth by my big set of Crayola crayons. And Patty's description definitely squares with Crayola.
--Ruth Anne Baumgartner
scholar gypsy and amateur costumer
p.s. The Crayola color "flesh" has been long since re-named. Lucky, that--I didn't know ANYBODY who was that color, but clearly it did imply that dark-skinned people were an aberration as far as the color of their "flesh" was concerned, and I'm glad that notion has been obliterated! Significantly, though, I never can remember what the new name is....

On Jan 26, 2007, at 9:58 AM, Rickard, Patty wrote:

American here - ultramarine was strong darkish slightly greenish blue
for me -when I was a girl - maybe a generational, not national, thing?

Patty

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Suzi Clarke
Sent: Friday, January 26, 2007 4:22 AM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: Re: [h-cost]Colour names, was Need Help

At 09:06 26/01/2007, you wrote:

Kate Bunting
Librarian and 17th century reenactor

Lavolta Press <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 26/01/2007 02:58 >>> wrote:
Bear in mind that the meanings of many Victorian color names changed
from fashion season to fashion season; and also, different, trendier
names were often applied to the same old colors.

I find this is still true. Here in the UK "aubergine" is usually a dark
purple (the colour of what you Americans call eggplants), but in a
recent catalogue I've seen the name applied to a lighter
pinkish-purple.

I was buying cotton thread yesterday, and the "mauve/purple/paler
aubergine" thread was called "Ultramarine." Now when I was a girl, as
they say, ultramarine was a strong darkish bright blue. My American
companion said that the purple-ish colour was a colour/name
association she knew - I didn't!

Suzi