About color names in fashion -- there are actually official arbiters of color names. Many years ago I did an article on The Color Association, which each season releases a forecast booklet with named swatches of colors that will be used in fashion, home decoration, etc. for the coming season. The names are what fashion will call those colors in the appropriate season, and the forecasts exist so you can buy a peach sweater in one store and a peach skirt in another and have them match. I just found this article, which talks about the Color Association and bunch of other color forecasting organizations. http:// jscms.jrn.columbia.edu/cns/2006-05-02/willhite-colorforecast

I think when I did my article, Color Association was the only one, as it is the oldest -- since 1915.
http://www.colorassociation.com/
According to the Web site, they have extensive archives and a color library. They also offer a couple of books that I just put on my own wish list:

The Color Compendium
by Augustine Hope and Margaret Walch
$40 hardcover
This is the first comprehensive, illustrated encyclopedia entirely devoted to color. This extraordinary reference covers the full range of color-related subjects, including their scientific, technical, artistic, and historical aspects.

and

Living Colors : A Designer's Guide to 80 Essential Palettes from Ancient to Modern Times
by Margaret Walch and Augustine Hope
$35 hardcover

A consummate guide to color, this indispensable, spiralbound volume displays 80 color schemes--drawn from a variety of different mediums, from architecture and apparel to paintings and pottery, across a range of historical periods--each individually presented, described, and illustrated in a handy, gatefold format, with representative four- color images and actual printed chips for matching against the project at hand. From the dominant reds of ancient Egyptian ochers to the psychedelic palettes of the sixties, Living Colors will inspire professionals and laypeople alike in choosing colors for a multitude of uses.

Both are available by mail from the Color Association. More info:
http://www.colorassociation.com/site/books.html

Since they started in 1915, they probably do have resources back into at least late Victorian.

Enjoy!
Lauren
Lauren M. Walker
[EMAIL PROTECTED]