I can attest to the comfort of this dress. I have been wearing this style for about 20 years in the SCA.. summer and winter in the South and over some fairly wide weight changes with minor adjustments. My first was with the cord (still have), but since have used straps.

Beth

At 02:10 AM 3/22/2007, you wrote:
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 21:08:40 -0600 (CST)
From: Robin Netherton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Re: robin's suggestion

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007, Gail & Scott Finke wrote:

> I have never noticed the arm/shoulder treatment in that dress before.
> How does it work, exactly? And why is it like that? It looks as if the
> front of the bodice has a shoulder strap that connects to a string or
> cord of some kind attached to the back of the dress.

That pretty much describes it. As far as I can tell, it makes the dress
more adjustable -- and would be easier to make without having to fit
exactly to the person. I suppose it might also be done as an alteration to
fit a later wearer.

As it happens, I did mine with a solid strap as seen in some of the other
images, but I used this image as the source for some other details in the
side lacing and skirt.

--Robin