Do please try to go back and find out the source! In our group we always say "we don't know what women wore under their dresses, because we haven't found any naughty pictures from the period". But I for one often wear braies just for warmth. You don't necessarily need braies to wear hose or chausses, you can tie them straight to a belt or wear knee-length ones, but it's more comfortable with braies.

In terms of it being a scandal for women to wear drawers in later periods, it's amazing how short society's memory can be about that sort of thing. And I was told by Hungarian folk dancers in the 1990s that, for them, it was still just recently that only prostitutes wore knickers. Their dancing skirts were almost full circle, sunray pleated, but they wore a very short, straight underskirt to preserve their decency when the skirts flew up in spins and (they said) no knickers underneath.

Jean

Zuzana Kraemerova wrote:
Hello,

I recently looked through a (not yet published) costume book of one of my
friends which tells about clothing in the western Europe around the 13th and
14th centuries. It is divided into chapters, each for one specific garment
(like gardecorp, tunic, surcotte...). It is supposed to talk about nobility.

Well, in a chapter about women's underwear, I found a picture of a woman
wearing something like male braies, and another picture depicting a woman with
a garment that looked like today's pants or knickers. It was redrawn, but if I
could only remember the source...

The author said nothing and it looked like he was thinking it was a general
practice for women to wear such underclothes. Well, if I remember right, all
history of underwear books tell you what a scandal it was when (was it
catherine de medici?) in the 16th century started to wear drawers, inspired by
the eastern countries. Then, it was actually the 19th century when drawers
became common and were no sign of scandal or anything else.

Another question that has something in common with the first one is: Would women wear chausses under the skirt when it was winter? If yes, it would be logic that they needed braies to tie the chausses to something.
Do you know anything about this? I really am confused but this topic interests
me quite a lot, so I'd like to get to know something more about it:-)

Many thanks,

Zuzana