Jean Waddie wrote:
I can see what you mean, but I never saw it as a button before you suggested it, just the product of four triangles meeting. There are so few pictures of the back of a gable hood, and with it always being black it's hard to confirm details!

If you can stand one more word, there's a clearer image at http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/search_the_collection_database/search_object_image.aspx?objectId=720891&partId=1&searchText=holbein&fromADBC=ad&toADBC=ad&orig=research%2fsearch_the_collection_database.aspx&currentPage=8&asset_id=31491
(or *http://tinyurl.com/yqemjv).*

--
Adele de Maisieres