I think nurse's caps were more of a professional symbol, though.  I
believe each nursing school had its own cap design.  I remember being
in the hospital as a child, in 1967 or so, and being entranced with
one nurse whose cap was a frilly little lampshade thing. I remember
her saying it was a real pain to iron.

Margo

My mother was a nurse in the 60s - graduation was frequently called "capping",
because of the cap's importance as a symbol. Her cap was relatively plain & I
can remember her starching it & flattening it on the refrigerator to dry. When
it was dry, she took it down & folded it into shape.

Patty