On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 11:21 AM, Lynn Roth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I usually just lurk on this list and occasionally ask questions or respond.
> My question is when making a dress like this one with a close front bodice,
> where do you put the lacing?  I've read if it's english that it goes in the
> back, but haven't been able to confirm or deny this.  Also, if you were doing
> a spanish one, where would the lacing go?  Did they always use lacing in this
> period or did they also use hookand eye, and if so where did they use
> it.Lllynn

Juan de Alcega was printed in a later period, however the styles
seemed not to move much in Spain after the beginning of the 15th c.
There were many different styles, they were the leaders at the time.
The Hispanic Costume Book shows where they fasten up with an open
front, closed laced front, back  and side closures. I can't see what
kind of closures.
Yes, many of them with the over "robe" and high waist look like they
could be pregnant, even the children. What a good coverup.

--
Aspasia Moonwind