Sorry for the late response Margo - been outta' town.  I don't know if it
helps, but Desert Torch Tailoring, Mathew Gnagy, has been making this gown for
years.  There are pictures of it in the Gallery Menu on the website.  I can't
give you a direct link, but if you go to the Gallery Menu and then look at both
the 2002 & 2003 historical female you will see several made up.
http://www.deserttorch.com

I took a Sartor method drafting class from Mathew a few (or so) years ago and
he allowed us to copy any of his patterns - I took notes on this one.  But
don't have an answer for the translation question.  You are absolutely right it
is wonderful for weight fluctuations and pregnancy.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but Mathew is very knowledgeable and
would probably be happy to answer any questions you have.  If you need his
contact information feel free to contact me off list. I don't see any contact
info on the website anymore - he and his partner have split up - he is in New
York working for a dance company these days.

Sg