Sorry, I should have been more clear. By sources, I meant some images of how this is done currently. I'm not worried about accuracy or authenticity of my undies :) Just comfort and the right silhouette.

Natalie

Haven't got doc for it. Wasn't my corset.

It was a way of coping with the solid (often wood) busk in the front of an Elizabethan corset. Many of my friends at faire put in a firm "twinkie" sized support pillow, without which they would not have been able to achieve the right silhouette.

Without the pillow they would have had over-mashed breasts, falling breasts, or (with a less-rigid busk to compensate) a non-flat front. None of them would have matched the silhouette represented in portraits and sculpture.

If you're doing something for competition, I would worry about documentation. If you're using machine stitching and other modern techniques to make your costume, I wouldn't worry. If it's a cheat, it's a completely invisible cheat.

andy