On Thu, 2 Oct 2008, Chris Laning wrote:

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Anyway, sorry to be Devil's advocate; I know some people claim a
medical problem when they just don't want to wear a certain thing,
and it's not up to someone else to insist they can. But what about
people who can't take the pressure of stays / corset? What are they
to do?

Which makes me curious. What actual medical issues have people encountered that really _do_ mean someone can't wear a corset? I'm sure it does happen -- and it seems to me that having some idea of what really are the issues that cause problems might help dressmakers decide whether to (1) attempt to exercise more tactful persuasion, (2) devise some sort of work-around, or (3) do the best they can to make a nice looking garment without corsetry.

Fibromyalgia means that even the lightest pressure on soft tissue, especially over a bone, can be incredibly painful. I haven't tried wearing a properly fitted corset since my diagnosis, but I could see where a 16th c. gown with all the trimmings would be painful. To give you an idea, my 7-lb cat is only *barely* light enough to stand on my lap without causing me pain, and I have a very mild manifestation of the syndrome.

Other possibilities for conditions that might preclude a corset are multiple sclerosis, Lou Gehrig's Disease, diabetes, sciatica, any of the degenerative nerve or musculoskeletal conditions.

Jen