Gentles of the List,
although the subject isn't costume, since this is sewing-related and using
fabrics, I just though I'd pass along some hard-learned experience. For anyone
who has either made for themselves or been asked to make for others a medieval
period Banner or Standard, with the historically-correct "bordure compony" of
the House Colours of the Owner - don't be tempted to take the short-cut I did.
When I needed to do this, I looked-up the period manuscripts available - either
as illustrations in books on heraldry, or as digitised manuscripts online from
such sources as the Library of the College of Heralds.
I found the earliest images on the surviving Rolls of Arms showed the borders
either as coloured fringes, or as solid fabric.
I thought the fringed borders looked "cooler" than the solid-fabric borders;  -
and bought myself the appropriate yardage of a made-up furniture fringe [white]
from the local Fabric Shop; and since the colours  I needed were Argent and
Azure,  - cut the length in half and dyed one length to the Azure I needed.
Several hours of cutting and sewing later, I had my 15ft-long Standard edged
with a fringed border of my House Coloured "compony" [alternating sections];
and it did, indeed look very "cool".
However, when I flew it for the first time, all those little loops and string
in the fringe caught on everything - with the result that every time the wind
dropped, my lovely new Standard hooked itself around the top of the mast, where
the fringe tangled itself in a series of small "Gordian Knots" around every
small things they could catch upon.
So, gentles all, - don't be tempted.
If YOU ever  have to do this job, use dyed fabrics cut into strips - or
ready-made coloured ribbons - to form that "bordure compony". The
historically-correct alternbativge - the fringe - is, IMHO, - a pain in the
butt in practrical terms - you'll forever be trying to untabgle those little
knots.

I hope this little note will save someone, sometime, from making the same error
I have made.

In service to the historic dream,

 Matthew Baker