Supersizing the image shows great detail, like the edges of the sleeve
slits. Wonderful!

-----Original Message-----
From: h-costume-boun...@indra.com [mailto:h-costume-boun...@indra.com] On
Behalf Of Susan Farmer
Sent: Sunday, July 05, 2009 6:33 PM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Laudonia in color WAS: Primary source forElizabethan
pillbox hats sought

Quoting Patricia Dunham <chim...@ravensgard.org>:

>> I had asked Lynn McMasters and she says that it is based off an
>> Italian portrait.
>> http://lynnmcmasters.com/LadyM.html
>> in color and a wee bit larger.
>> http://tinyurl.com/yt6hg9
>
> Some lurking!  Thanks to those folks who tried to make me feel better
> about clunky, non-visual writing problems -- apparently your kind
> reassurances worked <G>.
>
> DISCLAIMER:  The following is not meant to rant or peck at anyone,
> just a statement of our opinions and interpretations.
>
> We went hunting for a color version too, without having checked all of
> otsisto's links!  Bad!
>
> Anyway, we found another(?) color version of the original B&W Laudonia
> portrait with more information about the painting, here
> http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laudomia_de%27_Medici.
>
> This is an Italian wiki page for "Laudomia de Medici", note the
> spelling of the first name: an M not an N as in the caption on Lynn's
> page (which was probably a typo from where she found the B&W, or
> something about transfering the name from Italian to French or
> whatever the original language of the B&W source page was).
>
> OPINION:  TO OUR EYES, ON OUR COMPUTER SCREENS, (especially when you
> enlarge the Italian Wiki picture) it appears from all color versions
> that the body of the dress is black, but the hair is lighter, reddish,
> both in front of the solid line of pearls and beyond the pearls.  It
> looks to us like what is "behind" the solid pearl line is also the
> reddish of the hair color.  Not that you can trust scans for this sort
> of thing; we've found paintings in multiple versions with wildly
> varying color values!

This painting is also in Moda a Firenze and it's attributed to "Bronzino
Workshop" and titled "Isabella d'Medici."

And as much as I'd love for this to be a pillbox, I have to agree.  It looks
like braids under a pearl and cabachon "bun-cover."

I uploaded my scan here -- it's Figure 93 for those of you following along
with your books.  You should be able to keep clicking until you get to the
Giant Copy.

http://pics.livejournal.com/florentinescot/pic/0008ftdt/

Susan
-----