Get on M&J's mailing list. They frequently have very good sales. And yes,
the home dec department at any fabric store is frequently the place to find
the right fabric. Just be sure to train your eye for what period brocade or
tapestry patterns look like for the period you're working in. I hate seeing
Elizabethans done up in Edwardian cabbage roses, just for example.

MaggiRos

Maggie Secara
~A Compendium of Common Knowledge 1558-1603
Available at your favorite online bookseller
See our gallery at http://www.zazzle.com/popinjaypress