On Jan 3, 2010, at 5:58 PM, Marjorie Wilser wrote:

You are right, Chris, that the link is helpful; what I was originally trying to point out in my response was that if only there were a precise color guide, we could describe colors and be understood perfectly by our correspondents (others misunderstood my intent). My comment didn't have much to do with historical color understanding, however, just with communication :)

    == Marjorie Wilser (who still likes the Crayola system!)

     The link Allison just posted
http://www.firemountaingems.com/details.asp?PN=H203271TL
has a Pantone guide for $20.

     As far as colors changing, I see a color forecast:
http://www.firemountaingems.com/trends/fashion_trends.asp? docid=PANTONEFORECAST which probably matches their color book, however the numbers are not the same as Pantone for print. If I was talking about PMS 199, is it close to 18-1550?

Maybe if we go to the paint store and get a collection of the colors, but then we have to be sure we're comparing Behr to Behr and not Behr to Sherwin-Williams.

     -Carol