It's a matter of professional tools vs the need for them, and how
precise does a costumer want to be with color. Design studios and
printers may well replace their pantone books every year. These days
many projects do colors with a CMYK build (instead of custom mixed ink),
and the CMYK can vary on press. When dealing with corporate identity
colors, it's an expensive mistake to have to reprint. Other projects
won't be as persnickety, so a slight color shift due to aging or fading
in the swatchbook won't have an impact.

I know all that, Carol. I HAVE done production work for 15 years, and usually the colors are CMYK. You seem to be talking more about spot colors, and everyone knows that spot color does not always correspond 100% to CMYK. Pantone has a special spot-to-color swatch book to help. Personally, for a corporate logo, I'd just use spot color.

I've had this discussion with a fair number of other people who do production work. My point is that the swatchbooks DON'T fade perceptibly for several years if well kept. I've compared. Other people have compared. Pantone says you need to replace them every year but then, Pantone is the party who sells them.

But hey, I'm not in the mood to play one-upmanship games.

Fran
Lavolta Press
http://www.lavoltapress.com