And, as an aside, if making a formal gown for evening, be sure to
differentiate between 'ball dress' and 'evening wear.' I have yet to
find an image of a post-1810 ball gown that has a train. Up to and
around 1810 there are plenty of 'full dress' or 'evening wear' or 'opera
dress' gowns that do, but ball gowns, no.
Ball dress:
http://www.uvm.edu/~hag/1800train/1809-wu-ackermann-balldress.png
Evening full dress:
http://www.uvm.edu/~hag/1800train/1809-white-washington.jpg

Generally, I agree with you that early 19th-century ball gowns were often shorter than other evening dresses. However, Jane Austen does interestingly say in _Northanger Abbey_ that Catherine and her friend Isabella "called each other by their Christian name, were always arm in arm when they walked, pinned up each other's train for the dance, and were not to be divided in the set."

Fran
Lavolta Press
Books on historic clothing, including:
The Lady's Stratagem: A Repository of 1820s Directions for the Toilet, Manuta-Making, Stay-Making, Millinery & Etiquette
http://www.lavoltapress.com