It is an interesting question, isn't it? My take on that phrase has always been that when she wrote Northanger Abbey in 1798-1799, pinning up a train would have been necessary, particularly in the crowded assembly rooms at Bath. It would have still been an accurate statement when Austen revised the manuscript for potential publication in 1803. The manuscript was revised again just before it's actual (and posthumous) publication in 1817, but it's hard to imagine that anyone would have a train on any gown by that time, so I had always assumed that Austen simply left the earlier phrase stand during that last revision. It captures Catherine and Isabella's relationship so beautifully that I'm glad she left it in...

- Hope

Lavolta Press wrote:

Generally, I agree with you that early 19th-century ball gowns were often shorter than other evening dresses. However, Jane Austen does interestingly say in _Northanger Abbey_ that Catherine and her friend Isabella "called each other by their Christian name, were always arm in arm when they walked, pinned up each other's train for the dance, and were not to be divided in the set."