On 3/14/2011 11:58 AM, Michael Deibert wrote:
Why must they be nasty arguements? While it's unfortunate some people react
that way, if there are valid arguements to be made which can be supported
through either research or even experience, and we can remain civil - isn't
that what constitutes a good discussion?
There are many different degrees of authenticity. Different list members need and desire different degrees of authenticity, and have very diverse levels of control over what they can achieve for a variety of good reasons. The problem with the authenticity wars is that everyone was dictating to other people what _they_ should achieve, even though the people being dictated to had different needs, desires, etc. Finally, we reached a level of maturity where we realized, "Hey, not everyone else's situation, needs, skills, desires, etc., are identical to mine. And that's OK. If someone asks me for advice I'll try to help, but I won't march around telling everybody else they have to start out their woolen garment by raising the sheep."

I want to stay at that level of maturity.

Perhaps, if that topic is buried in the old archives, it would be worth
reviving. After all, new research has been made, perhaps new technology. And
there are new members on this list - that equals new viewpoints.

People discuss new discoveries on this list all the time. They give each other practical advice all the time. That is not the same as flame wars over the level of authenticity.

> Lastly, why would people unsubscribe just because others on the list are
reviving a topic that not only is of interest to them, but is one of the key
reasons this list exists?

Have you ever been on a list  that flamed for weeks on end?  I suppose not.

Look, I'm not one to shy away from a controversial topic of interest to me. I do not think the point of an e-list is for everyone to sit around and reach consensus. It's not a committee meeting. But I think the agreement we all reached, that we do not all have identical needs, goals, skills, values, and constraints, is a really, really good agreement. it has enabled us to do things like _tell_ someone how to put a zipper in a theatrical costume for King Lear without everyone jumping all over the person who asked the question and telling them they shouldn't do it.

Fran
Lavolta Press
www.lavoltapress.com