On 8/7/2011 4:01 AM, penn...@costumegallery.com wrote:
A lot of people
are still out of work.  People were sending a lot of posts from work.
People may have backed off of doing so, probably scared they might lose
their jobs if caught.  Many businesses are also monitoring employees emails
too.
That's an interesting theory.
I keep up with Facebook several times a day because it is on my phone and
laptop.  I don't receive email on my phone because of 300+ spam messages
that I receive a day.

True, that matters for many people. I don't even have a cell phone. I don't need one. I spend a lot more time on my computer than on the phone.

As for the FB length problem, I post the limit of
words and inform people to look in the comments area for more info.

True, I just find it very annoying to hunt through truncated or concealed posts.

I don't get into blogs.  I think they are great for some people, but I just
never got into it.  BTW, from the DC professional IT email list...blogs have
been on their way out for over a year.

Why? Plenty of people want their own forum where they can just write an essay about whatever they want and post it. Of course, blogs are a lot of trouble to keep up. I think businesses are now using Facebook more, if all they want is to post briefly to keep in touch with customers. Blogs are very time consuming.

As for sewing...it is the #1 hobby for women this past year.

Where'd you hear that?

>Maybe you can contact the costuming events for some stats. I know Comic-Con was a huge success last month. Dragon*Con is expecting between 35,000 to 50,000 people over Labor Day weekend. If I get to go to Dragon*Con, I will let you know. I didn't notice any change in the amount of people at Costume-Con for the past three years...but the people in the know are on h-costume.

It's not just the cons, it's the battles and other big reenactment events. I hear people saying they are not going to as many as before.

> As for those of us who have costuming businesses, especially online, it is always a race to keep up with what is IN & OUT. We always have to reinvent the wheel to stay afloat. At this moment, the social media seems to be the way to g

To be honest, Penny, I think you are applying attitudes about modern clothing fashions to technology. Also, email lists, blogs, and website b-boards ARE social media. They may be a different format than Facebook, but they are social media.

Fran
Lavolta Press
www.lavoltapress.com
www.facebook.com/LavoltaPress