And why purchased hairpieces were widely used and sold at all times when "big hair" was popular, including in the 1880s And a hairpiece is cheaper and easier to attach than a wig, IMO.

BTW, my book Fashions of the Gilded Age, volume 2, includes pictures of late 1870s and early 1880s hairstyles.
Fran

I have your book and it was one of the things that convinced me that false hair was the way for me to go. At the moment I am achieving my Teen Dream of being a platinum blonde. Unfortunately I have a great deal less hair than I had as a teenager. Possibly because I attempted to become a blonde, and no I didn't have more fun.

Over the years I've tried the hairpieces available and had no luck in concealing the join. I probably need some expert hands on instruction in making it all work.

Do you have any sources for these hairpieces, or even a wig that could be in-expensive enough to fool with?

Wanda Pease