I took a class at Colonial Williamsburg where they taught the basic techniques of wigmaking. We learned how to weave the hair onto strings, and the strings of hair would eventually be sewn onto the wig base. It was interesting to learn, but I doubt I would make an entire wig.

I think the various hair-donation charities say it takes eight ponytails to make a wig. I would assume, then, that one set of plaits would not be enough. You could use them as plaits or switches, though.

-Carol

-----Original Message-----
From: Sharon Phillips <vintagealternat...@gmail.com>
To: h-costume <h-cost...@indra.com>
Sent: Wed, Sep 12, 2012 11:57 pm
Subject: [h-cost] Hair and Reenacting

I would like some ideas on hair pieces and wigs as I now have short hair
again and I have no real idea myself. My hair is maybe a centimetre or
two long at the back and for part of the sides and, about 7 cm or 8 cm
long on the top part. I also have dark red henna in it so all in all my
hair looks modern. I need to come up  with some kind of solution for
reenacting. I'm mostly interested in 15th and 16th centuries, and
regency. I was wondering what the list would suggest for solutions for
covering up the hair and achieving period hairstyles.

I did keep my plaits when they where cut off. They reached they bottom
of my ribcage(plaited) and were cut off halfway between shoulder and
head. The hair is in good condition and was never dyed, chemically
treated or the like. I never even used a hairdryer or straightener on
it.The plaits also weigh over 160 grams so there is quite a bit of hair
there. I'm wondering if it would be worth talking to a wigmaker and
seeing if they are able to make something with this either wig or hair
pieces. I'm  wondering if anybody on the list has done something
similiar or knows anything about the subject

Sharon Phillips