Thanks, 'Bella!

Armed with a copy of Denise Dreher's "From the Neck Up: an illustrated guide to
hatmaking" and your helpful posts, we forged ahead with the 1908 hat project
today.  Using lightweight wool felt and a heavy non-fusible interfacing
(possibly "Pel-tex'… it was in my stash but not labeled), and hand stitching,
we got a nice approximation of the turban in McCall Pattern No. 6260, "Scotch
Hats".  (There are 3 views: a "scotch cap" which is fairly simple, a
"tam-o-'shanter" which looks like a large Buster Brown hat, and the "turban"
which is what took my student's fancy.)  I haven't found any images for this
pattern on teh interwebz -- it appears that McCall's has re-used that number at
least 6 times in the intervening century -- so I'll try to get it posted on our
Facebook page next week.  :-)

I couldn't find hat canvas in our small midwestern town, and I didn't want to
use buckram (available at JoAnn's in the utility fabric section) because it's
not water-proof, so that dictated the choice of materials.  I'm going to try
another version with a lightweight fashion fabric for comparison.  The pattern
directions assume that you know when to trim and clip the seam allowance, and
when to stitch the center back seam, and how to apply the embellishments… it
was an interesting exercise in historic interpretation.  The next challenge is
to figure out how to adapt the pattern for different head sizes (I think this
one assumes that you'll be wearing it on top of big hair).

We're jazzed now and thinking about ordering hat canvas and millinery wire
online so we can tackle more complicated projects.
Suzanne