On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Ka-Ping Yee wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, zachary rosen wrote:
> > I think DeanMediaTeam is great.  They are fulfilling a very important
> > task.  There is a very large need for a community organized around the
> > creation of dean media, and it think they will do a hell of a lot for this
> > campaign.  I also think they would be the perfect choice to maintain the
> > global media repository that tracks all the media on the network.
> >
> > I don't think they should be the central authority, spoke-and-wheel,
> > broadcast-center to ALL network dean campaign media.
>
> When i look at your first paragraph here i think we are in complete
> agreement.  There needs to be some place where you can do a global media
> search, and we are both saying that DMT is a good place for it.
>
> Your second paragraph would be a misinterpretation of what i'm suggesting.
> The metadata DB is just a place to put your URLs so other people can find
> them.  The media itself would be hosted all over the Net and people could
> work on it wherever they please.

Well I am undoubtedly guilty of using some rather inflammatory
descriptors, but i stand by accusation.  It is a rather simple design
descision: distribute the metada intelligence, or have DMT keep it
centralized.  I see absolutly no good reason why it should be centralized,
and many many reason why it should be distributed.

-Zack