> On Wednesday 25 March 2009 13:45:52 Stephen Rowles wrote:
>> As I posted before, but I will post again just to add some balance. My
>> previous experience is that if you open the and read the letters,
>> contact
>> the TV licensing people and explain that you either
>>
>> a) don't have a TV or
>> b) have a TV but don't watch live TV (e.g. only watch DVD's or Videos
>> and
>> it isn't connected to a TV aerial)
>>
>> Then they accept it and leave you alone. No more wasted trees on
>> threatening letters and no investigation officers coming to your door.
>
> Neither my experience nor my husband's (when we lived separately before we
> were married).  We got endless threatening letters, to all of which we
> replied explaining that we didn't have a TV.  Finally I wrote and said
> that
> that was the last time I would reply to one of their nasty letters, the
> rest
> would be binned.  I binned everything else they sent me.  But no
> enforcement
> officer turned up - at least, not when I was in.  Admittedly, this was a
> while ago.

We must have been lucky, I was surprised it worked but I thought I should
mention that at least some times it does :).

I wonder what other legal options you could take, seems to me that the
constant letters when you have explained could be harassment. I wonder if
you could take out a restraining order or similar? Possibly it might even
now be an offence under the data protection act as they are incorrectly
processing your details.