Hi,

Just providing some closure to this interesting edge case...

> Thank you for this detailed report, this is *very* useful. As you tracked
> the crash to happen inside openssl, I think you should file a report to
> centos/redhat because it's a security issue.

CentOS is bug-for-bug compatible (see recent libsvr2 issue there) and
seeing as we don't at this time have a support contract with RH plus it  it
is not reproducible on the current release (the glibc in 6.5 fixes it) I
doubt there will be any traction in that direction.

> It's possible that the bug
> is easier to trigger with haproxy or with a specific version of it than
> other products, but nevertheless, no lib should ever crash depending on
> the traffic so I suspect there's an unchecked error code in it causing a
> NULL pointer to be dereferenced.

It wasn't a null pointer but an explicit choice of behaviour in libkrb5 it
seems...

> In 1.5-dev12, I believe we did not yet support SNI, which could be an
> explanation for the different behaviour between the two versions. I
> think that the chroot is needed to trigger the bug simply because the
> glibc does not find a file it looks up, and causes a different return
> code to be fed to openssl.

This is possible and seems a likely possibility ... Incidentally blocking
one of the 'ciphers of death' by not permitting it on the bind also appears
to avoid the code path - the 'cipher not permitted' gets triggered before
whatever leads to the query through libkrb that results in the SIGABRT.

> It would be useful to know if you can also
> trigger the issue using the legacy openssl library instead of the
> distro's version (just pick 1.0.0l or 1.0.1f from the site if you're
> willing to rebuild it).

We probably won't get a chance to do this and we're unlikely to move off of
the libssl supported by the distro due to the added maintenance overhead.

> Thanks a lot!
> Willy

Not a problem ... our Head of IS did a detailed write up on our
investigation process and findings at his blog if you are interested:

http://blog.tinola.com/?e=36

Cheers,

James