Hi James,

On Thu, Feb 06, 2014 at 08:36:00PM +0000, James Hogarth wrote:
> CentOS is bug-for-bug compatible (see recent libsvr2 issue there) and
> seeing as we don't at this time have a support contract with RH plus it  it
> is not reproducible on the current release (the glibc in 6.5 fixes it) I
> doubt there will be any traction in that direction.

Possible, but according to this below, 6.4 is very recent and supposed to
be maintained till 2015 :

   https://access.redhat.com/site/support/policy/updates/errata/

So maybe they're interested in backporting the fix from 6.5 into 6.4. There
are some Red Hat people here on the list, maybe they could relay that
information internally (Ryan ?).

> > It's possible that the bug
> > is easier to trigger with haproxy or with a specific version of it than
> > other products, but nevertheless, no lib should ever crash depending on
> > the traffic so I suspect there's an unchecked error code in it causing a
> > NULL pointer to be dereferenced.
> >

> It wasn't a null pointer but an explicit choice of behaviour in libkrb5 it
> seems...

Indeed, but given the code you showed, I suspect that the abort() was put
there a bit in a hurry or as a sign of despair. abort() followed by return -1
is pointless and not that common!

> > In 1.5-dev12, I believe we did not yet support SNI, which could be an
> > explanation for the different behaviour between the two versions. I
> > think that the chroot is needed to trigger the bug simply because the
> > glibc does not find a file it looks up, and causes a different return
> > code to be fed to openssl.
>

> This is possible and seems a likely possibility ... Incidentally blocking
> one of the 'ciphers of death' by not permitting it on the bind also appears
> to avoid the code path - the 'cipher not permitted' gets triggered before
> whatever leads to the query through libkrb that results in the SIGABRT.

Yes so it seems you needed a perfect alignment of planets for this to
happen, but that in your environments, planets are always aligned :-/

> > It would be useful to know if you can also
> > trigger the issue using the legacy openssl library instead of the
> > distro's version (just pick 1.0.0l or 1.0.1f from the site if you're
> > willing to rebuild it).
> >

> We probably won't get a chance to do this and we're unlikely to move off of
> the libssl supported by the distro due to the added maintenance overhead.

I easily understand! Especially since you really want to rely on someone
who knows it well to correctly backport only the right fixes and not the
bogus ones from upstream...

> > Thanks a lot!
> > Willy
> >

> Not a problem ... our Head of IS did a detailed write up on our
> investigation process and findings at his blog if you are interested:
>
> http://blog.tinola.com/?e=36

Ah cool, thanks for the link!

Cheers,