I'm not currently sure on the JRE version. These are Android clients
written with a old Android SDK. All new clients are C++ / OpenSSL
based.

I have set the DH param size to 1024 with the same results.
Additionally, I set up a bind statement that reflects that of the
backward compatibility link you provided from Mozilla. Again, with no
luck.

Attached two pcap files:
haproxy_1.pcap: Capture of client against HAProxy with the target
configuration I started with + 1024 DH param. HAProxy is @ 10.3.2.74
here
haproxy_2.pcap: Capture of the client against OpenSSL s_server run as such:
  openssl s_server -accept 443 -cert
~/Downloads/json_rpc_server_cert_and_key.pem -msg -debug -state.
s_client is @ 10.3.2.118 here

In both cases the client is @ 10.1.1.93.

(Note: I'm not 100% sure if I can attach here; If not I'll post links
in a follow up)