Thanks, this has all been very helpful.

Unfortunately it seems that some of the pieces to create a debuggable
version of these old clients are currently missing here. If I can get
that together I'll debug and hopefully find something. Until then,
we'll be attempting to route their traffic around HAProxy leaving only
newer clients to get the benefit.

If I come up with something that works or otherwise useful I'll post it here.

Thanks again,

Bryan